Sustainable Development Volunteer
Sustainable Travel International is a non-profit organization working to protect and conserve our planet’s most vulnerable destinations by transforming tourism’s impact on nature and people. By leveraging the power of travel and tourism, which employs 1 in every 10 people on the planet, we aim to ensure that communities thrive, cultural heritage is preserved, and environments are healthy for future generations. We’ve implemented programs in more than 75 countries worldwide, focusing on destinations that possess vibrant, yet sensitive natural ecosystems and cultural assets, and where tourism is a leading economic driver.
We are seeking a fast-learning, motivated and high-performing individual to support our sustainability programs in destinations around the world, as well as our traveler and industry awareness efforts. We are looking for someone who is passionate about our planet, wants to contribute to the sustainable tourism movement, and cares about protecting destinations and strengthening communities around the world.
The goal of the STI Future Leaders Program (FLP) is to help the trailblazers of tomorrow gain valuable and unique hands-on work experience today with a leading sustainable tourism NGO. While this is an unpaid position, FLP placements are designed to give participants the opportunity to apply their skills and knowledge to real-world projects and initiatives, providing valuable experience in the sustainability sphere.
Please note that this is a remote position.
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed and pursued as received.
Position Duration: Minimum 3 months commitment
Required Hours: 5-20 hours/week
Desired Start Date: ASAP
Key responsibilities of the volunteer include:
- Conduct background research and analyses on pressing global and local sustainability issues, such as climate change, plastic pollution, disaster recovery, and ecosystem threats
- Research and profile the environments, species, cultural heritage, economic landscapes, and sustainability strengths/weaknesses of different regions and destinations
- Document, analyze, and adapt sustainable tourism and conservation best practices for destinations, enterprises, travelers, and community members
- Draft and edit blog and website content
- Source relevant statistics, articles, examples, and news stories
- Draft and format reports, educational materials, and presentations
- Research and write case studies on diverse sustainability issues and solutions
- Support the planning and development of stakeholder trainings and workshops
- Create relevant and engaging social media posts
- Supporting effective communication with international partners and project stakeholders
- Other duties as requested by the team
- Background in sustainability, corporate social responsibility, travel and tourism, international development, environmental conservation, or similar
- A passion for tourism, sustainability, and conservation
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Google Docs
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Proven ability to conduct thorough desktop and qualitative research and analysis
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to present complex information in a concise and compelling manner
- Visual presentation, design, and/or marketing skills a plus
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Independent, self-motivated, and highly organized; ability to perform effectively in a virtual office environment
- Adept at learning new tasks and skills quickly
- Flexibility, multi-tasking capability, ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Ideal candidates will be pursuing or hold a graduate degree in one of the fields mentioned above or similar.
How to Apply:
To apply for this volunteer role, please complete this form. Documents submitted should demonstrate your writing and presentation capability.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.